arrow-user mailing list archives

From Jacques Nadeau <jacq...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Java] Increase memory limit
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2020 18:34:19 GMT
The jvm imposes a limit as well. The value you pass into the allocators
only matters if it is below the jvm setting. You'll need to change the jvm
setting via -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=<size>

https://www.eclipse.org/openj9/docs/xxmaxdirectmemorysize/

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 9:56 AM Justin Polchlopek <jpolchlopek@azavea.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using Arrow Vectors as the underlying storage of some objects to
> assist in the transmission of those objects, but as I am scaling up my
> examples, I'm very quickly running into OOM errors.  Specifically
>
> Caused by: io.netty.util.internal.OutOfDirectMemoryError: failed to allocate 16777216
byte(s) of direct memory (used: 939524096, max: 954728448)

> I'm a bit surprised.  The allocator managing the vectors is given by
>
> val allocator = new RootAllocator(Long.MaxValue)
>
> (I'm using the Java libs via Scala.)  I would expect to have more than 1GB available
given that construction, but it looks like we're substantially memory-constrained.