arrow-user mailing list archives

From Wes McKinney <wesmck...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Pyarrow and C++ API
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2020 17:28:42 GMT
How did you install pyarrow, with pip? It has its own C++ libraries
bundled inside and so will surely conflict with the vcpkg libraries

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 11:18 AM Raúl Bocanegra Algarra
<raul.bocanegra@shapelets.io> wrote:

> Hi Wes,
>
> I just added "-DARROW_PYTHON=ON" on vcpkg/ports/arrow/portfile.cmake on the "vcpkg_configure_cmake"
function call.
> I also created an improvement for this in its repo: https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg/issues/9350
> Also edited its vcpkg/triplets/x64-linux.cmake as they recommend on the docs: https://vcpkg.readthedocs.io/en/latest/users/triplets/#per-port-customization
> Just edited:
> set(VCPKG_LIBRARY_LINKAGE static)
> if(PORT MATCHES "arrow")
>     set(VCPKG_LIBRARY_LINKAGE dynamic)
> endif()
>
> Thanks for your work.
>
> Raúl.
> ________________________________

can't find the libarrow installation from vcpkg it seems to be using a custom findArrow.cmake
script. Anyway I hacked the CMakeLists from arrow in order to find vcpkg's arrow libraries
and it worked, I run ldd and the libraries are the ones from vcpkg. So now I have my Python
extension and my application linked against vcpkg's arrow and arrow_python. But now it still
doesn't work I am observing a couple of weird issues.
> > 1.- In the python script that my embedded python interpreter runs I do:
> > "from statsmodels.tsa.stattools import adfuller as adf" but it gets stuck there.
So I removed that import. Then:
> > 2.- After removing the import now I have a SIGABRT and the following message when
my extensions calls "arrow::py::wrap_array":
> > "Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread".
> > I did some Google and I only found a similar issue on Macs with different python
interpreters installed, but I am on an Ubuntu 18.4 with only python 3.6.9 installed and I
am using a venv for pyarrow.
> > I don't know what to do next. Did any of you experienced something similar?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > Raúl Bocanegra Algarra
> >
> > Software Engineer
> >
> > M: + 34 617 83 64 45 -  E: raul.bocanegra@shapelets.io
> >

> > ________________________________

a python3 interpreter and loads an extension module using pybind11. Documentation says C++
headers and libraries are bundled with pyarrow but I am having some segfaults when calling
some API functions like the wrap/unwrap ones. I am calling import_pyarrow and also import_numpy
but segfaults still happening. I feel the reason is that I compile and link with my own arrow
and arrow_python libs built with vcpkg so my app links with those, but the extension module
imported by the embedded python interpreter is loading the arrow_python from the site-packages
folder where pip installed pyarrow, and that mismatch makes the segfault happen. So I was
wondering if the correct approach for a situation like this with an embedded interpreter and
an extension module that imports pyarrow is to use the headers and libs from the pyarrow installation
removing the ones from vcpkg or if you know another option I haven't contemplated yet.