arrow-user mailing list archives

From Wes McKinney <wesmck...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Caching layer using arrow
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2019 18:48:24 GMT
hi Nirmala,

There aren't any tools in the libraries to help you "out of the box",
so you'll probably have to devise your own metadata storage and state
management scheme for such a system.

best
Wes

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 9:53 AM Nirmala S <nanna.tech.stuff@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I am trying to build a caching layer using Arrow on top of ORC files. The application
will ask for a column(which can be of any data type - fixed, variable length) of data from
the cache, the cache needs to check it’s metadata to see if the column is already present.
If yes, it can return the data to application. If not the data needs to be fetched from ORC
files, cached and then returned to application. The application is multi-threaded and is based
on C++. Application has a read-only workload.

>         This being the case what is the best method to maintain the metadata and the
data in Arrow, is there any good practise ?

>         If cache size is smaller than the ORC file size, should I be putting in a logic
to swap the data using some algorithm like LRU or is this already present in Arrow ?