arrow-dev mailing list archives

From Wes McKinney <wesmck...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Aapche process questions
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2018 14:18:59 GMT
hi Andy,

> My argument for doing this is that although other Rust developers can set up a github
dependency in their Cargo,toml, this just isn't a natural way to work in Rust so we are making
it hard for people to experiment with Arrow.

Being penalized by the language for not using a centralized package
repository seems odd to me, but if that's the way Rust is, then so be
it.

> 1. Is it ok for me to push updated releases to crates.io?

If crates.io definitely needs to get updated as frequently as you are
saying, we should make separate Rust releases and hold votes like we
have with JavaScript. It sounds like nightlies or downstream
"releases" would be a better solution while the project is new / in
flux, see below:

> 2. Is releasing from a fork of the code (under a different name) acceptable?

Sure, you can make your own "downstream" releases of the project, as
long as they aren't advertised as being releases made by the Apache
project. Some of us have been building nightly Python packages for
development purposes

- Wes