zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>
Subject Removing Netty support from branch-3.4
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2019 08:52:26 GMT
Hi ZK users / devs,

ZooKeeper branch-3.4 is still on Netty 3 which is not maintained by the Netty team anymore.
There’s no intention of updating it on our side, hence we’re planning to remove it from
the codebase completely and ask existing users to upgrade to 3.5, if they still want to use
Netty. 3.5 is a much better option anyway in various aspects: Netty 4 performs better, TLS
support in both quorum and client communication, etc.

The default stack in 3.4 is NIO, so our gut feeling is that the impact on our existing users
is low, however the most important effect of this change is probably the loss of encrypted
client connections.

Please share your thoughts about this change and let us know if upgrading to 3.5 is not possible
in your use case.

Tracking Jira: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-3568

Regards,
Andor