zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: Leader election and leader operation based on zookeeper
Date Sat, 21 Sep 2019 18:40:32 GMT
Thinking more about this... I imagine this works if the current leader path is always used.
I need to think about this some more.

-JZ

> On Sep 21, 2019, at 1:31 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:
>
> The issue is that the leader path doesn't stay constant. Every time there is a network
partition, etc. the Curator recipes delete and recreate their paths. So, I'm concerned that
client code trying to keep track of the leader path would be error prone (it's one reason
that they aren't public - it's volatile internal state).

> -Jordan
>
>> On Sep 21, 2019, at 1:26 PM, Zili Chen <wander4096@gmail.com <mailto:wander4096@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> Hi Jordan,
>>
>> >I think using the leader path may not work
>>
>> could you share a situation where this strategy does not work? For the design we
do leader contending
>> one-shot and when perform a transaction, checking the existence of latch path &&
in state LEADING.

>> Given the election algorithm works, state transited to LEADING when its latch path
once became
>> the smallest sequential znode. So the existence of latch path guarding that nobody
else becoming leader.

>> Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com <mailto:jordan@jordanzimmerman.com>>
于2019年9月22日周日 上午12:58写道:
>> Yeah, Ted - I think this is basically the same thing. We should all try to poke holes
in this.

>> -JZ
>>
>>> On Sep 21, 2019, at 11:54 AM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com <mailto:ted.dunning@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> I would suggest that using an epoch number stored in ZK might be helpful. Every
operation that the master takes could be made conditional on the epoch number using a multi-transaction.

>>> Unfortunately, as you say, you have to have the update of the epoch be atomic
with becoming leader.

>>> The natural way to do this is to have an update of an epoch file be part of the
leader election, but that probably isn't possible using Curator. The way I would tend to do
it would be have a persistent file that is updated atomically as part of leader election.
The version of that persistent file could then be used as the epoch number. All updates to
files that are gated on the epoch number would only proceed if no other master has been elected,
at least if you use the sync option.

>>> On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 1:31 AM Zili Chen <wander4096@gmail.com <mailto:wander4096@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>> Hi ZooKeepers,
>>>
>>> Recently there is an ongoing refactor[1] in Flink community aimed at
>>> overcoming several inconsistent state issues on ZK we have met. I come
>>> here to share our design of leader election and leader operation. For
>>> leader operation, it is operation that should be committed only if the
>>> contender is the leader. Also CC Curator mailing list because it also
>>> contains the reason why we cannot JUST use Curator.
>>>
>>> The rule we want to keep is
>>>
>>> **Writes on ZK must be committed only if the contender is the leader**
>>>
>>> We represent contender by an individual ZK client. At the moment we use
>>> Curator for leader election so the algorithm is the same as the
>>> optimized version in this page[2].
>>>
>>> The problem is that this algorithm only take care of leader election but
>>> is indifferent to subsequent operations. Consider the scenario below:
>>>
>>> 1. contender-1 becomes the leader
>>> 2. contender-1 proposes a create txn-1
>>> 3. sender thread suspended for full gc
>>> 4. contender-1 lost leadership and contender-2 becomes the leader