zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Default for secureClientPort and adminServer
Date Sun, 28 Jul 2019 11:27:03 GMT
Hi

The default reserved port number for Zookeeper is 2181. So when installing ZK using package
managers that's typically what you'll get.
Now with Netty and SSL you want clients to connect to secureClientPort. In the Confluence
page examples are given with port 2281. But is there some best practice or recommendation
on which port to use? Specifically:

- Is 2281 a recommended default?
- Or is it better to use 2181 for secureClientPort and disable old clientPort?

Likewise the new AdminServer defaults to 8080 (same a plain Jetty). Would it not be beneficial
to have a well known port, say 2191 that clients/apps could use as default, and assume that
if you apt-get install zookeeper or run it via docker, that would be the port AdminServer
listens to?

I'm asking because I believe in well-defined conventions. I'm a Solr committer and we need
to document to users how to configure Zookeeper with SSL, and choose defaults in our clients
talking to Zookeeper, including AdminServer. Ideally I hope the ZK project actively recommends
ports for clientPort, secureClientPort and AdminServer in the 21xx range and let that tricle
down to downstream package managers and installer makers. Seeing 8080 in a firewall setup
tells you nothing, but seeing 2191 would immediately ring a bell.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com