zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: Zookeeper syncing with Curator
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2019 16:07:38 GMT
It sounds like you’re describing one of the Barrier recipes. Curator has several. I’d look
to those as a possible solution.

====================
Jordan Zimmerman

> On Mar 13, 2019, at 9:56 AM, Robin Wolters <rbn.wolters@googlemail.com.invalid>
wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I understand that this is not possible in general.
>
> In my case the read and write are started from the same overarching
> application (but different zookeeper connections and hence possibly
> different nodes).
> I start the read only after I know the write has succeeded, but I
> don't know if it has reached all nodes yet.
> So I expected that a sync gives me the guarantee that the next read
> reflects at least this specific write.
> It's okay if possible further writes are not in yet.
>
> Is this "selective" consistency not possible with my approach?
>
> Best regards,
> Robin
>
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 15:47, Jordan Zimmerman
> <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:
>>
>> ZooKeeper is an eventually consistent system. Reads are always consistent in that
they reflect previous writes, however it is not possible to do what you describe. Reads are
fulfilled by the Node your client is connected to. Writes are always through the leader Node.
In a dynamic ensemble with lots of concurrent reads/writes there is no such thing a read reflecting
all active writes.