zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Robin Wolters <rbn.wolt...@googlemail.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Zookeeper syncing with Curator
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2019 15:56:17 GMT
Thanks for the reply. I understand that this is not possible in general.

In my case the read and write are started from the same overarching
application (but different zookeeper connections and hence possibly
different nodes).
I start the read only after I know the write has succeeded, but I
don't know if it has reached all nodes yet.
So I expected that a sync gives me the guarantee that the next read
reflects at least this specific write.
It's okay if possible further writes are not in yet.

Is this "selective" consistency not possible with my approach?

Best regards,
Robin

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 15:47, Jordan Zimmerman
<jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:

> ZooKeeper is an eventually consistent system. Reads are always consistent in that they
reflect previous writes, however it is not possible to do what you describe. Reads are fulfilled
by the Node your client is connected to. Writes are always through the leader Node. In a dynamic
ensemble with lots of concurrent reads/writes there is no such thing a read reflecting all
active writes.