zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jürgen Wagner (DVT) <juergen.wag...@devoteam.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: RR DNS name instead of list of server
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2019 03:21:21 GMT
Hello all,

  I've been following this discussion, and there seem to be some
misconceptions or wrong assumptions involved, esp. as Consul does have a
different architecture from Zookeeper.

First of all, it is unclear to me what exactly the goal of this should
be. It sounds a bit like jumping in the midst of a discussion without
knowing what it is really about originally. Therefore, I have a few
general remarks, some of which may already provide a hint to address the
original challende the OP is facing.

- I recommend having a look at the dynamic reconfiguration feature of
Zookeeper. This will allow changing clusters., e.g., the addition of nodes.

- If you have a Zookeeper cluster, you'd like to not start new and kill
old Zookeeper pods all the time, have changing IP addresses and all
that, but keep them reliable. Therefore, I don't see the benefit of RR
DNS names in the Zookeeper configuration AT ALL. Why would you need any
form of discovery between the Zk nodes if they have their own
cluster-forming and election protocols?

- Clients will receive a list of Zk node names and can also inquire the
cluster in case of reconfigurations, but will then randomly make choices
from that list to connect to a cluster. There is no need for RR here.
You will already get balanced access.

- RR on the DNS level or a dumb load balancer is not a good idea for
session-oriented protocols, anyway.

So, Ram, can you explain once more why you want RR DNS in the first
place? What do you want to achieve really?

Cheers,

--Jürgen