zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Digest auth with classic TCP transport
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2018 13:46:21 GMT
Hi,

> if you're prevented from implementing SSL why not use TLSv1.3?

I have not found any evidence that Zookeeper server nor (Java) client supports TLS in version
3.4.13. Please point me to some docs or tutorial. We don't want to fork Zookeeper to implement
this stuff ourselves :)

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 27. sep. 2018 kl. 15:17 skrev Martin Gainty <mgainty@hotmail.com>:
>

> ________________________________

are not sniffed over the network and thus let an attacker impersonate our application and
cange the content in Zookeeper? Does the Zookeeper client do some smart moves to protect/hash
the password over the network? I suppose the binary transport is easy to decipher for those
who try.

> MG>if you're prevented from implementing SSL why not use TLSv1.3?
> MG>with TLSv1.3 you can implement encryption/decryption with crypto private/public
keys and x509 certs
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security
> Transport Layer Security - Wikipedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security>
> Transport Layer Security (TLS) – and its predecessor, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), which
is now deprecated by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) – are cryptographic protocols
that provide communications security over a computer network. Several versions of the protocols
find widespread use in applications such as web browsing, email, instant messaging, and voice
over IP (VoIP).
> en.wikipedia.org
>

> MG>path of least resistance is to contact verisign and ask them to generate keys,
certs and allow them to act as CA
> MG>Caveat: tls1.3 implementation is slow and is supported by Mozilla v60...and some
versions of chrome
> MG>as far as ciphers to prevent MIMA do not implement TLS_DH_anon and TLS_ECDH_anon
key agreement methods MG>do not authenticate the server
> MG>you will want public key size to be min 2048bit to conform to chrome secure transmission
requirements
> MG>securing message is done thru MD5 or SHA but you will need to incorporate selected
algo into
> MG>supported cipher-suite(s)
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cipher_suite
> Cipher suite - Wikipedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cipher_suite>
> A cipher suite is a set of algorithms that help secure a network connection that uses
Transport Layer Security (TLS) or Secure Socket Layer (SSL). The set of algorithms that cipher
suites usually contain include: a key exchange algorithm, a bulk encryption algorithm, and
a message authentication code (MAC) algorithm.. The key exchange algorithm is used to exchange
a key between two devices.