zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jeremiah Adams <JAd...@helixeducation.com>
Subject Re: Java 11 OpenJDK/Oracle Java Release Cadence Questions
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2018 17:01:31 GMT

Java 11 is out on Sept., 25 and  makes Java 8, 9 and 10 obsolete. Java 8, 9, and 10 will no
longer receive security patches/updates beginning in January 2019. Organizations have the
option to pay Oracle for patches in order to stay on Java 8.

Oracle is changing its release cycle and licensing for Java SE (which is no more as off 11).
 Java SE is rebranded to Oracle java and is an LTS release requiring paid licenses per processor
running java 11. Fee is $25 per processor. LTS means fewer upgrades, but does receive security
patches.

Oracle will continue to contribute to OpenJDK. However, the OpenJDK releases will come every
six month and are called “Major” releases.. Each release making the previous obsolete
with zero security patches/updates applied to previous versions.

All of this sounds really bad, however, the “major” versions that will come from OpenJDK
are more akin to going from 8->8u20->8u40 than from Java 7 to Java 8. So the biggest
hurdle is simply aligning project releases with OpenJDK release cadences. This implies building
to release candidates prior to bi-annual JDK release testing and releasing.

If your organization doesn’t want  to pay for Oracle Java your org will have to upgrade
Java versions every six months. While we can easily manage our own code base, dependencies
such as Zookeeper are key to our business and difficult to control.

Below are links related to this topic I found while doing research. If anyone can comes to
different conclusions please share.

I do have testing Zookeeper on Java 11 in our backlog but do not know how soon I can get to
that.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/update-and-faq-on-the-java-se-release-cadence
https://www.infoq.com/presentations/java-10-11