zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jeremiah Adams <JAd...@helixeducation.com>
Subject Re: Java 11 OpenJDK/Oracle Java Release Cadence Questions
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2018 14:28:18 GMT
  "But if it's too late for you, you can still revert to OpenJDK8 which is
   supported until June 2023 (if that's an option to you at all)."

Please correct me if I am misinformed but this is not consistent with the research I have
been doing. 8 will no longer receive security updates from Oracle beginning Jan 2019. To continue
receiving patches from Oracle, processors and end users must be licensed. Redhat has an OpenJDK
but it also requires paid support. Other vendors build OpenJDK8 but this is getting too far
off the beaten path for me to consider production worthy.

I am currently evaluating each of our core java dependencies to determine if paying for this
support is our best path forward until Java11 is widely adopted.

Thanks

Jeremiah Adams
Software Engineer
www.helixeducation.com
Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

From: Norbert Kalmar <nkalmar@cloudera.com.INVALID>
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 1:48 AM
To: user@zookeeper.apache.org
Subject: Re: Java 11 OpenJDK/Oracle Java Release Cadence Questions

Hi Jeremiah,

I don't know what will happen with the Oracle support, I'm sure oracleJDK11
will be sorted out for ZK sooner or later.

But if it's too late for you, you can still revert to OpenJDK8 which is
supported until June 2023 (if that's an option to you at all).

But seeing people concerned with a topic here on this list sure can speed
things up. So thanks for writing, this is definitely on the table, and we
will keep You guys updated!

Regards,
Norbert