zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Configuring SolrCloud with Redundancy on Two Physical Frames
Date Tue, 01 May 2018 19:52:02 GMT
On 5/1/2018 8:55 AM, Adam Blank wrote:
> I would like to have a high-availability/redundant installation of
> Zookeeper running in my production environment. The problem is that I only
> have 2 physical frames available, so that rules out configuring a Zookeeper
> cluster/ensemble since I'd only have redundancy if the frame with the
> minority of servers goes down. What is the best practice in this situation?
> Is it possible to have a separate standalone install running on each frame
> connected to the same set of SOLR nodes or to use one server as primary and
> one as backup?

I'm more familiar with the Solr side of the equation than the ZK side.
That said, I do know if you want bulletproof fault tolerance for ZK, you
must have at least three separate physical installations.

For redundancy of Solr itself in SolrCloud, you only need two hosts, but
for ZK, you need three.  The minimal fault tolerant SolrCloud setup
would run both Solr and ZK on two servers and a third ZK by itself.
That third server would not need much horsepower.  I've heard of people
using a laptop or a low-end desktop for the third server.

For best results, you would also want redundancy beyond the servers
themselves -- power and network for each server ideally would be
separate hardware.  Some even go as far as separate racks and/or
geographically diverse datacenters.

Thanks,
Shawn