zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Configuring SolrCloud with Redundancy on Two Physical Frames
Date Wed, 02 May 2018 16:56:12 GMT
On 5/2/2018 7:07 AM, Adam Blank wrote:
> Thank you everyone for the useful information.  Would it be easy to
> reconfigure an existing clustered deployment to a standalone deployment?
> This is what I'm thinking:
>
> I have two physical servers.  I would have one Zk installed on server 1 and
> two Zk installed on server 2.  I would have a Solr node on each server,
> each with one or more shards.  If server 1 goes down, I should still be
> operational.  If server 2 goes down, I would reconfigure the remaining Solr
> node and Zk on server 1 as a standalone deployment.  Should that work in
> theory?  If so, the only changes that I should need to make would be to
> update the zoo.cfg within Zk and to restart Zk and Solr in standalone
> mode?

This question (and my response) are out of place on this mailing list.
Adding ZK to Solr means Solr is running in cloud mode.  Standalone mode
means ZK is not involved.  If you want to pursue this further, please
start a thread on the solr-user mailing list.

If you try to start a Solr machine running in cloud mode in standalone
mode (by removing the information about ZK), it's not going to work,
because all the config data for the indexes is in zookeeper.  There is
no active config data on the filesystem with the indexes.  You could
possibly fix that by creating a "conf" directory in each core's
directory with the required configuration.  Assuming that works (and I'm
not 100% sure that it would), if you have collections with more than one
shard, then what you'll end up with is partial indexes that have no
connection to each other.

Generally speaking, a SolrCloud install that loses ZK quorum will still
work, but it will be read-only.

Thanks,
Shawn