zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Upgrade required Java version to 1.8 on 3.5+
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2018 16:16:57 GMT
On 3/7/2018 4:04 AM, Andor Molnar wrote:
> I've quickly checked some of the major components that are heavy Zk clients:
>
> Hadoop/HDFS = 1.8 required
> HBase = 1.8 required
> Kafka = 1.7 required (has some 1.8 and 1.9 bindings)
> Hive = 1.8 required
> Curator = 1.7 required (has 1.8-only async module to take advantage of Java
> lambdas)
> Solr  = 1.8
>
> As always, your feedback is much appreciated.

I come from the Solr world.

Lucene/Solr started requiring Java 7 with the release of 4.8.0,
announced on 2014-04-28.

Lucene/Solr started requiring Java 8 with the release of 6.0.0,
announced on 2016-04-08.

The general reaction each time one of these major changes was discussed
seemed to be "oh, finally!  it's about time!"  I get the strong sense
that Lucene committers really want to use the new language features, and
feel limited when they can't. Historically, there have been a few
changes committed that failed to compile when the officially supported
minimum JDK version was used.  The authors probably should have noticed
the problem, but sometimes don't because they're using updated toolchains.

How do the committers on this project generally feel about needing to
avoid using Java 8 features?  If they don't feel limited, there's
probably no reason to update the requirement.  If however they feel that
they could write better code with a refresh, then given general industry
trends, it probably is time to consider updating the requirement.  Maybe
you will want to accelerate plans for a 4.0 release, and update the
requirement there.

Another piece of information to think about:  Oracle isn't providing
public support/bugfixes for Java 7 any more.  To get support, Oracle
must be paid.  Java 8 is going to reach that same milestone in January
2019, so within the next year or so, we are going to begin seeing a lot
of projects updating to a minimum of Java 9.

Thanks,
Shawn