zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Washko, Daniel" <dwas...@gannett.com>
Subject Re: replacing one zookeeper machine with brand new machine
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2018 18:21:14 GMT
The steps are the same whether Exhibitor is in the mix or not. Exhibitor will take care of
management, though. I would recommend backing up the data in your Zookeeper ensemble just
to be safe.

1) Spin up a new zookeeper and configure it to use exhibitor.
2) Let exhibitor bring it into the ensemble.
3) Use exhibitor to remove the old node.
4) Terminate the old node when exhibitor says it is no longer in the ensemble; or it is down.

It has been a few years since I have worked with Exhibitor. It should automatically pull the
new node into the ensemble. I believe there is an option to remove a node. You will be presented
with a choice on how you want to initiate the changes - a rolling restart of restart all at
once. I would recommend a rolling restart if you want to keep the ensemble live while you
make the changes.

If you have a problem with removing one of the nodes, you can edit the node list in exhibitor,
remove that node, and save the configuration. Again, this will prompt for a rolling restart
or parallel restart.

Without exhibitor these are the steps I follow:

1) Backup the data
2) Spin up a new zookeeper
3) Identify the master
4) Alter the configuration on each zookeeper to add the new node and to add the other nodes
to the new zookeeper. Be aware of the zookeeper ID, it has to be unique.
5) Perform a rolling restart of each node with the master last.
6) Verify the new master and that the data stored in zookeeper has migrated successfully to
the new node.
7) Remove the old node from each config.
8) Stop zookeeper on the old node and do a rolling restart of the remaining zookeepr nodes
with the master last.
9) Terminate the old node.

--
Daniel S Washko