zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: SASL jaas.conf principal="*" problem
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2018 20:16:37 GMT
Boton/Andor

MG>a few questions on modifying Subject Principals

MG>security manager must grant AuthPermissionHolder.MODIFY_PRINCIPALS_PERMISSION for your
login

MG>assume $JRE_HOME/lib/security/java.policy contains something like:

grant {
    // There is no restriction to any algorithms.
    permission javax.crypto.CryptoAllPermission;
    //no restrictions to modifying Principals
    permission AuthPermissionHolder.MODIFY_PRINCIPALS_PERMISSION;

MG>then ZK should pass SecurityManager MODIFY_PRINCIPALS_PERMISSION

 java.lang.SecurityManager sm = System.getSecurityManager();
               if (sm != null) {
                   switch (which) {
                   case Subject.PRINCIPAL_SET:
                         sm.checkPermission(AuthPermissionHolder.MODIFY_PRINCIPALS_PERMISSION);

MG>assuming you have -Djava.security.debug=ALL have you seen permission errors?

MG>Zookeeper implementation consideration:
MG>if ZK session is quiesced you may lose Principal credentials (as there is no serialization
for credentials)

       "credentials associated with the <code>Subject</code> are not. Note that
the "
"
      "Therefore ALL concrete <code>Principal</code> implementations associated
with Subjects MUST"
       "IMPLEMENT <code>Serializable</code>."

  *   JndiLoginModule<https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/jre/api/security/jaas/spec/com/sun/security/auth/module/JndiLoginModule.html>
  *   KeyStoreLoginModule<https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/jre/api/security/jaas/spec/com/sun/security/auth/module/KeyStoreLoginModule.html>
  *   Krb5LoginModule<https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/jre/api/security/jaas/spec/com/sun/security/auth/module/Krb5LoginModule.html>
  *   NTLoginModule<https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/jre/api/security/jaas/spec/com/sun/security/auth/module/NTLoginModule.html>
  *   UnixLoginModule<https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/jre/api/security/jaas/spec/com/sun/security/auth/module/UnixLoginModule.html>

MG>questions on Zookeeper org.apache.zookeeper.server.auth.DigestLoginModule

MG>org.apache.zookeeper.server.auth.DigestLoginModule implements LoginModule

    public void initialize(Subject subject, CallbackHandler callbackHandler, Map<String,?>
sharedState, Map<String,?> options) { //assume options is JAAS options

        if (options.containsKey("username")) {
            // Zookeeper client: get username and password from JAAS conf (only used if using
DIGEST-MD5).
            this.subject = subject;
            String username = (String)options.get("username");
            this.subject.getPublicCredentials().add((Object)username);
            String password = (String)options.get("password");

MG>since following is NOT overridden by ZK concrete class.. can we can lose credentials
during session quiesce?
            this.subject.getPrivateCredentials().add((Object)password);
        }
        return;
    }

   public boolean login() {
//Unlike Krb5LoginModule, we don't do any actual login or credential passing here:
//authentication to Zookeeper is done later, through the SASLClient object.

        return true;
    }

  MG>DigestLoginModule::login authentication would happen @
  MG>ZooKeeperSaslClient.ZooKeeperSaslClient(final String serverPrincipal) which calls
to createSaslClient below:

MG>createSaslClient reference from ZK .\org\apache\zookeeper\client\ZooKeeperSaslClient.java

  synchronized private SaslClient createSaslClient(final String servicePrincipal,
                                                     final String loginContext) throws LoginException
{
        try {
            if (login == null) {
                if (LOG.isDebugEnabled()) {
                    LOG.debug("JAAS loginContext is: " + loginContext);
                }
                // note that the login object is static: it's shared amongst ALL zookeeper-related
connections.
                // createSaslClient() must be declared synchronized so that login is initialized
only once.
                login = new Login(loginContext, new ClientCallbackHandler(null));
MG>where ClientCallbackHandler is inner class
                login.startThreadIfNeeded();
            }
            Subject subject = login.getSubject();
MG>Regular/Public/Private Principals *should* be contained with Subject (from login
            SaslClient saslClient;
            // Use subject.getPrincipals().isEmpty() as an indication of which SASL mechanism
to use:
            // if empty, use DIGEST-MD5; otherwise, use GSSAPI.
            if (subject.getPrincipals().isEmpty()) {
                // no principals: must not be GSSAPI: use DIGEST-MD5 mechanism instead.
                LOG.info("Client will use DIGEST-MD5 as SASL mechanism.");
                String[] mechs = {"DIGEST-MD5"};
MG>Login *contains* Subject *which contains* PublicCredentials/PrivateCredentials
                String username = (String)(subject.getPublicCredentials().toArray()[0]);
                String password = (String)(subject.getPrivateCredentials().toArray()[0]);
                // "zk-sasl-md5" is a hard-wired 'domain' parameter shared with zookeeper
server code (see ServerCnxnFactory.java)
                saslClient = Sasl.createSaslClient(mechs, username, "zookeeper",
"zk-sasl-md5", null, new ClientCallbackHandler(password));
                return saslClient;

MG>instead of obtaining thru Private Creds via (String)(subject.getPrivateCredentials().toArray()[0])MG>confused
on reason 4 hardcoded 'zookeeper' password referenced from above Sasl.createSaslClient?

Context.SECURITY_AUTHENTICATION<http://Context.SECURITY_AUTHENTICATION>="DIGEST-MD5"

MG>can you verify authentication Principal is set to EITHER u as in
Context.SECURITY_PRINCIPAL="u: cuser"
MG>OR authentication Principal is set to DistinguishedName
Context.SECURITY_PRINCIPAL="dn: cn=C. User, ou=NewHires, o=JNDITutorial"

MG>ZooKeeperSaslClient considerations:

   ZooKeeperSaslClient(final String serverPrincipal)  is instantiated in org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn.java

    String principalUserName = System.getProperty("zookeeper.sasl.client.username", "zookeeper");
                    if(principalUserName!=null) zooKeeperSaslClient =
                        new ZooKeeperSaslClient(
                                principalUserName+"/"+addr.getHostString());

MG>what is value of zookeeper.sasl.client.username System Property
?
Martin