zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Bruno Freudensprung <bfreudenspr...@expertsystem.com>
Subject Observers: a link to message bus?
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2018 12:54:52 GMT
Hi,

I have a question regarding this part of the Observers Guide (https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.11/zookeeperObservers.html):
"As a link to a message bus : [...] Observers would give a natural integration point for this
work: a plug-in mechanism could be used to attach the stream of proposals an Observer sees
to a publish-subscribe system"

I've not been able to find such a plug-in mechanism in the source code of ZooKeeper. For the
moment the only integration point I can think of is the commitRequest method of the  org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.ObserverZooKeeperServer
class. Am I looking in the right direction?

To be honest: this is for the moment only pure curiosity since Apache Kafka seems to be a
more "natural" and out-of-the-box option for an ordered message bus. However since I might
probably need ZooKeeper for its distributed lock and leader election features, I was wondering
if I could use it as an ordered message bus as well.

Best regards,

Bruno.