zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Washko, Daniel" <dwas...@gannett.com>
Subject Re: Rolling restart zookeeper
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2017 14:36:51 GMT
This is what I would recommend. Identify the leader and restart that one last. Zookeeper should
be able to remain functional and server requests during the restart of a single node. Of course
you always take a risk if that node does not come back for some reason and then you will be
left with and ensemble that cannot achieve quorum. After each restart verify the state of
the node.

echo stat | nc IP_ADDRESS_OF_NODE 2181

Will provide that information – Whether it is the leader or follower.

We run zookeeper with Solr and do not see an impact with rolling restarts of zookeeper.

The only time I see problems is if we are adding new nodes to a live system or there are problems
with your ensemble. If for some reason there is a zookeeper node that is not in sync with
the others and that node becomes the leader, there is a potential for the data stored in zookeeper
to be incomplete or wiped out.

Daniel S Washko
Solutions Architect

dwashko@gannett.com <http://www.gannett.com/>