zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Ray Chaudhuri, Shirsha (Nokia - IN/Bangalore)" <shirsha.ray_chaudh...@nokia.com>
Subject RE: How to modify Client Connection timer
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2017 21:19:31 GMT

Thanks Patrick.

Yes, we did eventually figure out that this timeout value is initialised from the Hadoop ZKFC
code with the value of "ha.zookeeper.session-timeout.ms" or if this is not set, then the default
is 5000. Since the client Cnxn class sets this timer value to a value _  (session timeout)
/ (number of ZK servers), the timer value for the initial connection to complete is one third
the value of 5000. Hence the timeout occurring at around 1.6s each time.

Which brought us to the question that wouldn't this piece of code highlighted from the file
zookeeper/ClientCnxn.java _
    public ClientCnxn(String chrootPath, HostProvider hostProvider, int sessionTimeout, ZooKeeper
zooKeeper,

            ClientWatchManager watcher, ClientCnxnSocket clientCnxnSocket,

            long sessionId, byte[] sessionPasswd, boolean canBeReadOnly) {

        this.zooKeeper = zooKeeper;

        this.watcher = watcher;

        this.sessionId = sessionId;

        this.sessionPasswd = sessionPasswd;

        this.sessionTimeout = sessionTimeout;

        this.hostProvider = hostProvider;

        this.chrootPath = chrootPath;

        connectTimeout = sessionTimeout / hostProvider.size();

        readTimeout = sessionTimeout * 2 / 3;

        readOnly = canBeReadOnly;

        sendThread = new SendThread(clientCnxnSocket);

        eventThread = new EventThread();

        this.clientConfig=zooKeeper.getClientConfig();

    }

Be leading to trouble if the number of ZK Servers is larger?

This timeout value is initially used when the Client is waiting to connect with the server,
even before it has negotiated a sessiontimeout value.

So larger the number of ZK Servers, less will be the timer value. Shouldn’t we have a lower
guard for it and ensure that atleast a min value is used for this timer?

Regards

Shirsha