zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Tharindu Kumara <zonik.hatkum...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sessions Expire due to Network partitioning in Zookeeper
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2017 05:34:30 GMT
 > ​
1) Could you tell me the status of Server C, is this lost connection to the
 >     quorum and fails to join quorum continuously as B is the Leader ?

Yes, B the leader. C Server is completely isolated from the Leader(B)
and It cannot communicate with the Leader. C cannot continuously connect to
the

Leader.

 > 2) C3 is connected C. Please tell me the connection host string passed to
 >     this client. Does it contains all three servers info "A:clientport,
 >    B:clientport, C:clientport" ?

Yes, C3's connection string contains all three servers. ("A:clientport,
B:clientport, C:clientport")

 > 3) Please check all three servers and client C3 logs to see any
 >    inconsistencies or exceptions.

After looking at logs, it seems when the server C isolated from the Leader,

a disconnect event fires to client C3. Then it (C3) tries too much time to
connect to Server B(Leader) .

But it cannot connect to server B, as we blocked the connection between
Server C and

Server B. Basically, C3 tries more than half of the session timeout time to
connect to Server B.

Then after figuring out that C3 cannot to connect to Server B, it tries to
connect

to Server A, and it connects to Server A successfully. But this is too
late, because

session is already expired at the time C3 connected.

And this happens sometimes only. Because when we specify all the servers in
the client's

connect string, sometimes after C3 disconnecting from Server C, instead of
trying to connect to

Server B it connects to Server A as the first attempt. In this case the
client C3 connects to the

quorum successfully before the session expiration.

According to my understanding, it looks like, when a client trying to
connect to a server that it cannot

connect due to a network partitioning, it uses a blocking call and it waits
too much time trying to

connect to a server that it cannot communicate.

 > 4) ZooKeeper version used in your testing ?

I used zookeeper 3.4.9 (current stable release)