zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Washko, Daniel" <dwas...@gannett.com>
Subject Zookeeper Ensemble Automation
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2017 17:28:44 GMT
Good day, I am soliciting advice for how to automate setting up and maintaining a Zookeeper
ensemble. In our environment we try to automate everything. We are currently operating out
of AWS using Scalr. Our goal for Zookeeper would be to automate the creation of a Zookeeper
ensemble where nodes would join together as they are created. For ongoing maintenance, the
ability to dynamically add and remove nodes is required. We have used Exhibitor for doing
this the past two years but there is a major problem that we have experienced. Every so often
the Zookeeper ensemble will lose all the configurations stored. We are using Zookeeper with
Solr and this causes the cloud to fail and collections to be lost. On our Zookeeper Solr implementations
that are not using Exhibitor we have never had this problem Given that Exhibitor’s future
remains in flux and along with the problems we have had we are trying to find a solution that
does not use Exhibitor.

The Dynamic Reconfiguration in the 3.5.x series seems like a good option, but 3.5.x has been
in Alpha state since 2014 and I don’t see any indication when It will jump to beta or even
stable. We are leery about running alpha software in production.

Supervisor is an option that we have started exploring, but that does not seem to fit properly
with systems utilizing Systemd. The big selling point for Supervisor is the ability to manage
processes remotely which can be scripted quite easily. Systemd has this also, via ssh.

Any other suggestions would be much obliged. Thank you.

--
Daniel S Washko
Solutions Architect

[cid:image001.png@01D2674F.3F29FF80]