zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Washko, Daniel" <dwas...@gannett.com>
Subject Re: Zookeeper Ensemble Automation
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2017 18:19:52 GMT
Thanks for the reply Shawn. I would like to clarify something though. Right now, the Dynamic
Reconfiguration of Zookeeper works for Zookeeper – that is adding/removing nodes automatically
without having to reconfigure each zookeeper node manually. Once Zookeeper is out of Alpha
then Solr will be updated to take advantage of the Dynamic Reconfiguration capability of Zookeeper
and auto-discover any changes. Is that correct?

--
Daniel S Washko
Solutions Architect

Phone: 757 667 1463
dwashko@gannett.comgannett.com <http://www.gannett.com/>

On 1/5/17, 1:07 PM, "Shawn Heisey" <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:

    On 1/5/2017 10:28 AM, Washko, Daniel wrote:
    > Good day, I am soliciting advice for how to automate setting up and
    > maintaining a Zookeeper ensemble. In our environment we try to
    > automate everything. We are currently operating out of AWS using
    > Scalr. Our goal for Zookeeper would be to automate the creation of a
    > Zookeeper ensemble where nodes would join together as they are
    > created. For ongoing maintenance, the ability to dynamically add and
    > remove nodes is required. We have used Exhibitor for doing this the
    > past two years but there is a major problem that we have experienced.
    > Every so often the Zookeeper ensemble will lose all the configurations
    > stored. We are using Zookeeper with Solr and this causes the cloud to
    > fail and collections to be lost. On our Zookeeper Solr implementations
    > that are not using Exhibitor we have never had this problem Given that
    > Exhibitor’s future remains in flux and along with the problems we have
    > had we are trying to find a solution that does not use Exhibitor.
    >
    > The Dynamic Reconfiguration in the 3.5.x series seems like a good
    > option, but 3.5.x has been in Alpha state since 2014 and I don’t see
    > any indication when It will jump to beta or even stable. We are leery
    > about running alpha software in production.

    As I understand it, the dynamic cluster membership in 3.5.x requires
    3.5.x *clients*.  The client in the newest version of Solr is 3.4.6.

    I'm a beginner with zookeeper, but I am very active in the Solr
    community.  Once ZK 3.5.x gets out of beta (still in alpha), a later
    version of Solr will be upgraded to the stable 3.5.x version of
    zookeeper, and then Solr should support dynamic cluster membership.

    Thanks,
    Shawn