zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Zookeeper Ensemble Automation
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2017 18:07:37 GMT
On 1/5/2017 10:28 AM, Washko, Daniel wrote:
> Good day, I am soliciting advice for how to automate setting up and
> maintaining a Zookeeper ensemble. In our environment we try to
> automate everything. We are currently operating out of AWS using
> Scalr. Our goal for Zookeeper would be to automate the creation of a
> Zookeeper ensemble where nodes would join together as they are
> created. For ongoing maintenance, the ability to dynamically add and
> remove nodes is required. We have used Exhibitor for doing this the
> past two years but there is a major problem that we have experienced.
> Every so often the Zookeeper ensemble will lose all the configurations
> stored. We are using Zookeeper with Solr and this causes the cloud to
> fail and collections to be lost. On our Zookeeper Solr implementations
> that are not using Exhibitor we have never had this problem Given that
> Exhibitor’s future remains in flux and along with the problems we have
> had we are trying to find a solution that does not use Exhibitor.
>
> The Dynamic Reconfiguration in the 3.5.x series seems like a good
> option, but 3.5.x has been in Alpha state since 2014 and I don’t see
> any indication when It will jump to beta or even stable. We are leery
> about running alpha software in production.

As I understand it, the dynamic cluster membership in 3.5.x requires
3.5.x *clients*.  The client in the newest version of Solr is 3.4.6.

I'm a beginner with zookeeper, but I am very active in the Solr
community.  Once ZK 3.5.x gets out of beta (still in alpha), a later
version of Solr will be upgraded to the stable 3.5.x version of
zookeeper, and then Solr should support dynamic cluster membership.

Thanks,
Shawn