zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Mohammad arshad <mohammad.ars...@huawei.com>
Subject ZooKeeper ping requests Unnecessarily go though request processor chain
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2016 09:11:35 GMT
Hi All
ZooKeeper clients send ping request(heartbeat) to ZooKeeper server to keep its session alive.
These ping requests do nothing but touch its session on the server.

If client is connected to a follower then the ping request is processed in sequence of ServerCnxn
--> ZooKeeperServer --> FollowerRequestProcessor --> CommitProcessor --> FinalRequestProcessor.
The ping request will wait in CommitProcessor for previous request completion. This wait for
ping request is unnecessary. I think it offers no benefit.

is ping request doing more than touching its session? I think it is only touching its session,
not doing anything else.
If this is the case we should process the ping request differently from the other requests.
It should be  treated as system request and should be processed with higher priority. May
be we can process in the sequence of ServerCnxn --> ZooKeeperServer --> PingRequestProcessor

Any thought?

Thanks
-Arshad