zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ZooKeeper clients does not handle new error codes properly
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2016 10:05:47 GMT
Hi Arshad,

It makes sense to me. What if we convert unknown server errors to KeeperException.SystemErrorException?
This is a generic error and it extends KeeperException.

I don't see it as a big issue to make this change, but others may feel differently. If we
do it, then we will need a release note pointing out the change of behavior.

-Flavio

> On 03 Oct 2016, at 08:54, Mohammad arshad <mohammad.arshad@huawei.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
> In Zookeeper rolling upgrade scenario where server is new but client is old, when sever
sends error code which is not understood by a client,  client throws IllegalArgumentException.
Generally IllegalArgumentException is not handled by any of the ZK applications. It is too
generic. How to handle this scenario in ZK applications?
> My understanding is instead of throwing IllegalArgumentException we should throw a subclass
of KeeperException, for example InvalidErrorCodeException, so that zk apps can take more specific
action.