zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Eric Young <you...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Split a large ZooKeeper cluster into multiple separate clusters
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 01:16:51 GMT
> If I correctly understand what you're trying to do with the static
> collections, Solr cannot do it directly.  If you have collection A in
> cluster 1, and collection A in cluster 2, they are entirely separate and
> cannot be managed as a single collection.  Queries and updates sent to
> one cluster will remain in that cluster and will not ever be sent to
> other clusters.

I don't want updates/queries to be sent to other clusters.  I want
them to remain within the cluster that received it.  The static
collections are actually silly and eventually they will be gone
completely.  I would have preferred to never have had the static
collections in ZooKeeper at all but, as soon as you connect Solr to
ZooKeeper, every core must be in ZooKeeper or else it can't be loaded
at all.

For right now, just imagine that 1 static collection currently has
replica on all Solr servers.  After the ZooKeeper cluster separation,
each ZK cluster will have separate knowledge of the same collection
but with a distinct subset of Solr replica servers (no 2 ZK clusters
will see the same replicas).  So all Solr servers will still have the
same collection with the same data (even though they are technically
different logical collections).

I'll eventually do some tests and see what happens.  I'll try to
remember to respond with the results for those that might be curious.

Thank you for your help.

-- Eric