zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Mohammad arshad <mohammad.ars...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: ZooKeeper Sync API path parameter does not have any impact.
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 16:50:59 GMT
Got it.
Thanks Flavio, Chris Nauroth.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Nauroth [mailto:cnauroth@hortonworks.com]
Sent: 07 September 2016 22:24
To: dev@zookeeper.apache.org; user@zookeeper.apache.org
Subject: Re: ZooKeeper Sync API path parameter does not have any impact.

Yes, the sync operation really applies to the client’s entire view of ZooKeeper state, not
a specific path or sub-tree, so I would not expect to see any significant difference in time
for sync(/path1) vs. sync(/path2).  The presence of the path is only a client API convenience.

Expanding a bit on what Flavio already said, the reason a client calls sync is often because
it wants to read up-to-date state for a specific path.  If an application is doing this kind
of logic for multiple paths, then it can check the path in AsyncCallback.VoidCallback#processResult
and know that this is a completed sync in preparation for reading /path1 vs. /path2.

I woudn’t expect any of this to influence execution time of the sync operation though.
If you do see a difference in execution time, then that’s likely just a coincidence.  (Maybe
it’s just a coincidence that there was more write activity at the time of calling sync(/path1)
vs. sync(/path2), and therefore one of those sync calls needed to do more work to catch up
with all of the transactions.)

--Chris Nauroth