zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From David Brower <david.bro...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Working around Leader election Listner thread death
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2016 15:30:55 GMT
OK, makes sense.

On 8/31/2016 1:15 AM, Flavio Junqueira wrote:
> Ok, I think I get what you're saying. Perhaps you're missing that this is an issue that
Guy encountered in 3.4.6 and that is fixed in a later release. We are discussing here a workaround
for his 3.4.6 deployment, not a permanent solution. Does it make sense?

> -Flavio
>
>> On 31 Aug 2016, at 01:16, David Brower <david.brower@oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> You'd be programming iptables to pass/accept things from a whitelist of peers you're
willing to talk with.

>> If you've got such a whitelist, you don't need to program iptables to look at the
peer address from a packet/socket and drop it, you can just do it in your message processing
code.

>> The second part deals with various hang situations.   If you've got a critical thread
selecting/reading messages, then it can't wait forever for a stuck read (or write).   Every
operation needs to be timed out in some fashion to prevent things like hung election thread.

>> You get into this sort of thing when miscreants or PEN-testers start scanning your
open ports and sending you malformed or fuzzed packets that you don't handle cleanly, or start
some exchange that they don't complete.

>> -dB
>>
>> Oracle RAC Database and Clusterware Architect
>>

>> On 8/30/2016 4:54 PM, Flavio Junqueira wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what you're suggesting, David. Could you be more specific, please?
>>>
>>> -Flavio

drop connections from things not on a whitelist, and not having a thread waiting indefinitely
for operations from any connection.

up with anything that is foolproof. Basically, the two main issues are:

a message outstanding and is trying to establish a connection to the good server. This happens
if the server is LOOKING or has an outstanding message from the previous round. The converse
isn't true, though. A good server can't start a connection to a bad server because the bad
server doesn't have a listener.
is elected more than once along the process, which induces multiple leader election rounds.

election traffic to and from bad servers using, for example, iptables. The idea is to a rule
that are local to each server preventing the server to get connections established for leader
election. For each bad server, we stop it, remove the rule, and bring it back up. We also
stop a minority first before stoping the bad leader.