zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From yuliya Feldman <yufeld...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Issue with NettyServerCnxn.java
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2016 00:15:47 GMT
Hello there,
We have been extensively testing Netty connection versus NIIO and there are some issues that
show up I wanted to get community response on.
In the process of testing https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2509 fix we identified
that sendResponse() method may try to do some operations after close() was invoked - as channel.close()
in Netty is asynch. and subsequently lead to some NPE.
NPE itself is not a good thing but the problems aggravates with the fact that propagation
of NPE will lead to main processing thread exiting and at that point ZK server becomes unresponsive
- since no requests will be processed anymore.
In NIOServerCnxn.java in sendResponse() it is catching Exception and just logs a warning  which
was added as part of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-597
I am trying to understand what a behavior should be in case of any exception in sendResponse.
Any insight would be highly appreciated
Thanks,Yuliya