zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: zookeeper deployment strategy for multi data centers
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2016 13:05:30 GMT
On 6/2/2016 4:06 PM, J316 Services wrote:
> We have two data centers and got two servers at each. At an event of a
> data center failure, with the quorum majority rule - the other
> surviving data center seems to be no use at all and we'll be out of luck.

You are correct -- the scenario you've described is not fault tolerant.

When setting up a geographically diverse zookeeper ensemble, there must
be at least three locations, so if there's a complete power or network
failure at one location, the other two can maintain quorum.  One
solution I saw discussed was a fifth tie-breaker server in a cloud
service like Amazon EC2, or you could go full-scale with two more
servers at a third datacenter.

Thanks,
Shawn