zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Van Klaveren, Brian N." <b...@slac.stanford.edu>
Subject Re: etcd3
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2016 23:32:55 GMT

> I think the ZooKeeper team needs to have a formal answer for etcd/consul. The developer
community keeps asking questions like “compare it to ZK” and the etcd devs are very public
and active with their responses. E.g. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12011066

I know Zookeeper has the REST bridge, and that you wrote the Thrift bridge, but I always hoped
zookeeper itself could be properly implemented over HTTP somehow with Netty Server Connection,
without proxy clients. I think it's possible in theory, especially with async HTTP or long
polling (and maybe this is easier with HTTP2?)

For my personal use case, I was hoping to be able to do things like a double barrier for jobs
running on two different batch systems in two different continents behind restrictive firewalls.

I know this sounds like a weird use case, but it's par for the course if you are using Grid
computing resources, where the only ports you can reliably do anything on are 80 and 443.

Brian