zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Zookeeper with SSL release date
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2016 17:28:21 GMT
Doug, I forgot to respond to your question about 3.4.  Since 3.4 is the
stable maintenance line, we are very conservative about back-porting to
it.  Our policy is to limit back-ports to critical bug fixes and not
introduce any new features in the 3.4 line.  This is a matter of managing
risk.

Jason, your question about release cadence is a fair one.  If it's any
consolation, we are now taking the approach of trying to limit the scope
of anything new introduced in 3.5 too.  That would allow us to focus on
stabilization: resolving blocker bugs and freezing public APIs.  I think
this will help us accelerate the releases into beta and eventual GA.

I am new to ZooKeeper release management, so I'd like to hear thoughts
from more experienced committers and PMC members about your proposal to
try to cut a stable release for a limited subset of what is in branch-3.5
now.  My instinct is that it would be challenging to cherry-pick out
pieces of branch-3.5 piecemeal at this point.  This would become another
release line for an already resource-constrained volunteer staff to
manage.  I'd prefer to dedicate those limited resources to overall 3.5
stabilization.  Also, a 3.5 release in which certain features "vanished"
because of not meeting some stability criteria would be undesirable.

--Chris Nauroth