zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Zookeeper with SSL release date
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2016 03:33:25 GMT
On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@apache.org> wrote:
> I gotta say that I'm not super excited about this option, but for some reason I ended
up carrying the flag. To recap, I just raised this option because it seems that there are
folks interested in features in 3.5 like SSL and not necessarily in reconfiguration. SSL is
important and to take Kafka as an example, it sucks that we can't have a whole set up using
SSL. For ZK, the real questions are:

> 1- how fast can we make 3.5 stable?
> 2- would it be faster if we have a way of disabling reconfiguration?
> 3- would enough users care about a stable 3.5 that has reconfiguration disabled?
>
> It is taking a long time to get 3.5 to beta. There has been some good activity around
3.5.2 release, which is a great step, but it is unclear when 3.5.3 is going to come and if
we will be able to make 3.5 beta then. Frankly, disabling reconfiguration sounds undesirable
because it is an important feature, but I currently don't use it in production, so from a
practical point of view, I can go both ways. Whether we go through the trouble of doing 2
depends on users interested in that option and folks willing to implement it.

> To answer your question, Powell, my pseudo-proposal is kind of a funny option because
once the feature is stable, then we wouldn't need a switch any longer, so there is not need
of a deprecation path, we just start ignoring it from the first beta release. Until it is
beta, I'd say that default is disabled.

I would argue that we need this even when it does become stable. To me
this is not a quality issue so much as it is an auth issue. We want to
make it simple for folks to run a vanilla/old ZK cluster and not worry
about the security implications of having reconfig enabled.

Patrick

> -Flavio
>
>> On 17 Mar 2016, at 17:44, powell molleti <powellm79@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Flavio,
>>
>> Generally do config options and command line args come under the same SLA as API?.
I was assuming as such hence my question. Perhaps if the expectation is that this config option
is temporary from get go then may be it is ok. The default for re-config support will be enabled
or disabled?.

>> I am just thinking from provisioning point of view when people generate config options
etc.

>> Thanks
>> Powell.
>>

>> On Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:12 AM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Powell,
>>
>> I was thinking config file and system property server side. What's your concern with
compatibility? The API itself wouldn't change, but the config option wouldn't exist in previous
versions and would not exist either in later stable versions of 3.5.

>> -Flavio
>>

>>> On 16 Mar 2016, at 22:08, powell molleti <powellm79@yahoo.com.INVALID>
wrote:

>>> Will this option be supplied via config file/args/API?. Will this option be a
temporary thing i.e what about its compatibility?.

>>> thanks
>>> Powell.
>>>

>>> On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 2:46 PM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@apache.org>
wrote:
>>> The main issue to sort out is stability of the API. There is a security concern
around the fact that clients can freely reconfigure the ensemble. If we follow the plan that
Pat proposed some time ago:

>>> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-dev/201407.mbox/%3CCANLc_9KG6-Dhm=wwfuwzNioGK70pg+iHMHPigYfJDSLf9-eq6Q@mail.gmail.com%3E
<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-dev/201407.mbox/%3CCANLc_9KG6-Dhm=wwfuwzNioGK70pg+iHMHPigYfJDSLf9-eq6Q@mail.gmail.com%3E>

>>> Locking the API is the main step to move it to beta. Sorting out bugs is definitely
necessary, but it isn't the main thing that is keeping 3.5 in alpha.

>>> About making it experimental, I was raising the option of having a switch that
disables the API calls, not the code. The reason why that could work is that anyone using
3.5 who uses the "experimental" API must explicit turn on the switch and enable the calls.
If they do it, they need to be aware that the API can change.

>>> I must say that I haven't really looked closely into doing it, and I'm not even
entirely convinced that this is a good idea, but since Jason raised the point, I'm exploring
options.

>>> -Flavio

API and

API" is