zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Zookeeper with SSL release date
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2016 14:12:59 GMT
On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 12:59 AM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@apache.org> wrote:
> I was thinking server side actually. If the switch is off, any attempt to reconfig is
a no-op and the server would log a warning. If you we want to propagate the error up, then
yeah, we need to start worrying about compatibility and such.

Are you saying someone wants to run with reconfig inaccessible, but
doesn't want to have to enable ACL/auth? That actually does make sense
to me from a "feature switch" perspective.

> I also would rather see us address it, although I can fully understand that there are
other fixes and improvements in 3.5 that people are interested in.

My thinking is more that reconfig changed a lot of core functionality.
It's not a "surface" feature. As such just disabling access doesn't
affect quality. I don't see this as a concern for reconfig alone,
there were a number of such changes in 3.5 and that's really my
concern - overall core quality vs quality of one specific
change/feature.

> -Flavio
>
>> On 17 Mar 2016, at 00:46, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not a huge fan of turning it off to be honest. Also just turning
>> it off at the API level wouldn't be enough, we'd need to turn it off
>> at the protocol level (otw it could still be accessed).
>>
>> I'd rather see us address it than kick it down the road. It's a major
>> feature of 3.5.
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@apache.org> wrote:
>>> The main issue to sort out is stability of the API. There is a security concern
around the fact that clients can freely reconfigure the ensemble. If we follow the plan that
Pat proposed some time ago:

>>> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-dev/201407.mbox/%3CCANLc_9KG6-Dhm=wwfuwzNioGK70pg+iHMHPigYfJDSLf9-eq6Q@mail.gmail.com%3E
<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-dev/201407.mbox/%3CCANLc_9KG6-Dhm=wwfuwzNioGK70pg+iHMHPigYfJDSLf9-eq6Q@mail.gmail.com%3E>

>>> Locking the API is the main step to move it to beta. Sorting out bugs is definitely
necessary, but it isn't the main thing that is keeping 3.5 in alpha.

>>> About making it experimental, I was raising the option of having a switch that
disables the API calls, not the code. The reason why that could work is that anyone using
3.5 who uses the "experimental" API must explicit turn on the switch and enable the calls.
If they do it, they need to be aware that the API can change.

>>> I must say that I haven't really looked closely into doing it, and I'm not even
entirely convinced that this is a good idea, but since Jason raised the point, I'm exploring
options.

>>> -Flavio

API and

API" is