zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Is it a accepted practice to share Zookeeper ensemble among Kafka, Storm and Solr
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2016 14:37:32 GMT
On 3/30/2016 12:08 AM, Flavio Junqueira wrote:
> Sharing is definitely ok, and I'd say that is common practice, but it really depends
on the size of the cluster you're talking about and your workload. Storm can be quite demanding
on ZK, and Kafka typically isn't except during fail-over. I don't have experience with the
workload of Solr. If you have a way of testing it against some sample workload, I'd suggest
you do it.

Unless there are tons of nodes/collections/shards/replicas, and/or a lot
of issues that cause clusterstate changes, I would expect Solr's impact
on zookeeper to be fairly light.  I strongly recommend a chroot for
Solr's connection to ZK, especially when sharing the ensemble.

Every Solr node and every CloudSolrClient object in client code will use
watchers, though I have no idea how many are created.

Thanks,
Shawn