zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Zookeeper with SSL release date
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2016 23:08:13 GMT
I gotta say that I'm not super excited about this option, but for some reason I ended up carrying
the flag. To recap, I just raised this option because it seems that there are folks interested
in features in 3.5 like SSL and not necessarily in reconfiguration. SSL is important and to
take Kafka as an example, it sucks that we can't have a whole set up using SSL. For ZK, the
real questions are:

1- how fast can we make 3.5 stable?
2- would it be faster if we have a way of disabling reconfiguration?
3- would enough users care about a stable 3.5 that has reconfiguration disabled?

It is taking a long time to get 3.5 to beta. There has been some good activity around 3.5.2
release, which is a great step, but it is unclear when 3.5.3 is going to come and if we will
be able to make 3.5 beta then. Frankly, disabling reconfiguration sounds undesirable because
it is an important feature, but I currently don't use it in production, so from a practical
point of view, I can go both ways. Whether we go through the trouble of doing 2 depends on
users interested in that option and folks willing to implement it.

To answer your question, Powell, my pseudo-proposal is kind of a funny option because once
the feature is stable, then we wouldn't need a switch any longer, so there is not need of
a deprecation path, we just start ignoring it from the first beta release. Until it is beta,
I'd say that default is disabled.

-Flavio

> On 17 Mar 2016, at 17:44, powell molleti <powellm79@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hi Flavio,
>
> Generally do config options and command line args come under the same SLA as API?. I
was assuming as such hence my question. Perhaps if the expectation is that this config option
is temporary from get go then may be it is ok. The default for re-config support will be enabled
or disabled?.

> I am just thinking from provisioning point of view when people generate config options
etc.

> Thanks
> Powell.
>

> On Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:12 AM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Powell,
>
> I was thinking config file and system property server side. What's your concern with
compatibility? The API itself wouldn't change, but the config option wouldn't exist in previous
versions and would not exist either in later stable versions of 3.5.

> -Flavio
>

>> On 16 Mar 2016, at 22:08, powell molleti <powellm79@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>>
>> Will this option be supplied via config file/args/API?. Will this option be a temporary
thing i.e what about its compatibility?.

>> thanks
>> Powell.
>>

>> On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 2:46 PM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@apache.org> wrote:
>> The main issue to sort out is stability of the API. There is a security concern around
the fact that clients can freely reconfigure the ensemble. If we follow the plan that Pat
proposed some time ago:

>> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-dev/201407.mbox/%3CCANLc_9KG6-Dhm=wwfuwzNioGK70pg+iHMHPigYfJDSLf9-eq6Q@mail.gmail.com%3E
<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-dev/201407.mbox/%3CCANLc_9KG6-Dhm=wwfuwzNioGK70pg+iHMHPigYfJDSLf9-eq6Q@mail.gmail.com%3E>

>> Locking the API is the main step to move it to beta. Sorting out bugs is definitely
necessary, but it isn't the main thing that is keeping 3.5 in alpha.

>> About making it experimental, I was raising the option of having a switch that disables
the API calls, not the code. The reason why that could work is that anyone using 3.5 who uses
the "experimental" API must explicit turn on the switch and enable the calls. If they do it,
they need to be aware that the API can change.

>> I must say that I haven't really looked closely into doing it, and I'm not even entirely
convinced that this is a good idea, but since Jason raised the point, I'm exploring options.

>> -Flavio
>>

>>> On 16 Mar 2016, at 20:59, Alexander Shraer <shralex@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Looking at the list of ~50 blocker and critical bugs in ZooKeeper, only 3-4
>>> are related to reconfig. Given this, and the fact that it is run in
>>> production since 2012 in multiple companies, I don't think its more
>>> unstable than any other part of ZooKeeper.
>>>
>>> There are multiple reconfig-related bugs that turned out really difficult
>>> to debug without access to the actual system or at least to the Hudson
>>> machines where some tests are failing. In the past, Michi and I physically
>>> went to Hortonworks to debug one such issue, but this is of course not a
>>> good method, and we weren't able to arrange such a visit again.
>>>
>>> Regarding making it optional - the reconfig logic has several different
>>> parts, some would be really difficult to disable using a configuration
>>> parameter. But the actual dynamic expansion of the cluster is triggered by
>>> the reconfig command, so it should not affect users who don't invoke it.

Or have

 Since 3.4 is

APIs.  I

stable than