zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Zookeeper with SSL release date
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2016 07:12:49 GMT
Hi Powell,

I was thinking config file and system property server side. What's your concern with compatibility?
The API itself wouldn't change, but the config option wouldn't exist in previous versions
and would not exist either in later stable versions of 3.5.

-Flavio

> On 16 Mar 2016, at 22:08, powell molleti <powellm79@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Will this option be supplied via config file/args/API?. Will this option be a temporary
thing i.e what about its compatibility?.

> thanks
> Powell.
>

> On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 2:46 PM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@apache.org> wrote:
> The main issue to sort out is stability of the API. There is a security concern around
the fact that clients can freely reconfigure the ensemble. If we follow the plan that Pat
proposed some time ago:

> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-dev/201407.mbox/%3CCANLc_9KG6-Dhm=wwfuwzNioGK70pg+iHMHPigYfJDSLf9-eq6Q@mail.gmail.com%3E
<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-dev/201407.mbox/%3CCANLc_9KG6-Dhm=wwfuwzNioGK70pg+iHMHPigYfJDSLf9-eq6Q@mail.gmail.com%3E>

> Locking the API is the main step to move it to beta. Sorting out bugs is definitely necessary,
but it isn't the main thing that is keeping 3.5 in alpha.

> About making it experimental, I was raising the option of having a switch that disables
the API calls, not the code. The reason why that could work is that anyone using 3.5 who uses
the "experimental" API must explicit turn on the switch and enable the calls. If they do it,
they need to be aware that the API can change.

> I must say that I haven't really looked closely into doing it, and I'm not even entirely
convinced that this is a good idea, but since Jason raised the point, I'm exploring options.

> -Flavio
>

>> On 16 Mar 2016, at 20:59, Alexander Shraer <shralex@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Looking at the list of ~50 blocker and critical bugs in ZooKeeper, only 3-4
>> are related to reconfig. Given this, and the fact that it is run in
>> production since 2012 in multiple companies, I don't think its more
>> unstable than any other part of ZooKeeper.
>>
>> There are multiple reconfig-related bugs that turned out really difficult
>> to debug without access to the actual system or at least to the Hudson
>> machines where some tests are failing. In the past, Michi and I physically
>> went to Hortonworks to debug one such issue, but this is of course not a
>> good method, and we weren't able to arrange such a visit again.
>>
>> Regarding making it optional - the reconfig logic has several different
>> parts, some would be really difficult to disable using a configuration
>> parameter. But the actual dynamic expansion of the cluster is triggered by
>> the reconfig command, so it should not affect users who don't invoke it.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Flavio P JUNQUEIRA <fpj@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I suppose we could give it a try. How do other folks feel about it?
>>>
>>> -Flavio

>>> at

>>> have
>>> do