zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Talluri, Chandra" <Chandra.Tall...@FMR.com.INVALID>
Subject RE: Can we restrict any client connections to Zookeeper ensemble
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2016 13:42:50 GMT
Sorry, This may not be the right forum to discuss about iptables. Can you please point out
some direction where can I get more information?

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Hunt [mailto:phunt@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2016 6:12 PM
To: UserZooKeeper
Subject: Re: Can we restrict any client connections to Zookeeper ensemble

The intent has always been for users to use iptables or similar to control such access, rather
than try to duplicate it in ZK.

Patrick

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Alex Yip <alexsyip@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you could use iptables directly to blacklist or whitelist some
> client IPs ?
>
> - Alex
>

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Talluri, Chandra
> <Chandra.Talluri@fmr.com.invalid> wrote:
>> Adam
>> Thanks, that would be very helpful. I was thinking there should be
>> something in Zookeeper configuration itself
>>
>> -Thanks

ZooKeeper host in transparent tcp mode in front of the ZooKeeper client port.

>> The choice of transparent mode was so that I can still map session activity to source
IP in ZooKeeper. HAProxy will spoof the client ip so the ZooKeeper is none the wiser that
HAProxy sits in between. It requires some iptables, ip rules and ip route config to direct
outgoing packets from ZooKeeper back through the HAProxy.

>> This allows for blacklisting ips and protecting against DOS attacks by rate limiting
new connections by IP and by block connections from bad actors that are too write intensive.

>> If this sounds like a useful to anyone I can outline the approach in a bit more detail.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Adam
>>

>> On 5 Feb 2016 19:07, "Talluri, Chandra" <Chandra.Talluri@FMR.com.INVALID> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it possible to restrict any client connections to Zookeeper ensemble based
on IP address. Not just setting Acl's on znode?