zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Harrigan <harrigan.matt...@gmail.com>
Subject Zookeeper guarantee documentation
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2016 16:24:05 GMT
Hello,

Is there a comprehensive and formal set of all guarantees zookeeper
offers?  I know of this
<http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperProgrammers.html#ch_zkGuarantees>documentation,
but it strikes me as more buzzwordy than formal and comprehensive.  If
other documentation exists, please let me know and disregard the rest of
this email.

I recently asked about one guarantee which I do not think is deducible from
the above linked documentation, namely that no two clients can successfully
create the same znode.  A similar guarantee which I suspect is honored is
that if a client successfully creates a regular znode and no one ever
deletes the node, all future calls by any client checking the existent of
that node will not return false, even if they happen immediately after the
acknowledgement to the node creator.  I suspect that more possible
guarantees could be formulated.  I humbly suggest creating additional
documentation with a comprehensive and formal set of guarantees.

Thank you