zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Spinning CPU on version 3.4.5
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2016 14:56:53 GMT
> Unfortunately, we are running Zookeeper with OpenJDK at the moment so I was
> unable to execute `jstack` (it's not bundled). If this issues remains we
> might migrate to use Oracle's JDK instead.
If jstack is unavailable, you can get the stack printed to stdout with
kill -QUIT <pid>. The unavailability of jstack isn't a Oracle/OpenJDK
thing, but more likely that you only have the JRE installed, not the
JDK.

Still, the stacks won't necessarily tell you what is eating CPU.
Do a "ps -eLo pid,ppid,lwp,nlwp,osz,rss,ruser,pcpu,stime,etime,args"
which will give you cpu usage per thread (lwp). The lwp will correlate
with the nxid in the stack output (though one is decimal, the other
hex). This should lead you to the thread that's eating your cpu (I'm
going to bet it's GC).

-Ivan