zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Adam Milne-Smith <a...@milne-smith.co.uk>
Subject RE: Can we restrict any client connections to Zookeeper ensemble
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2016 15:05:23 GMT
In case you want to use HAProxy to manage things, here are the iptables and other settings
I used as a starting point for running in transparent mode:

http://blog.haproxy.com/2013/09/16/howto-transparent-proxying-and-binding-with-haproxy-and-aloha-load-balancer/

If running the HAProxy on the same box as the ZooKeeper you'll have to change the iptable
'PREROUTING' statement to 'OUTPUT' and limit it to only the tcp port that the zookeeper is
binding to for the client port.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Adam

On 8 Feb 2016 13:42, "Talluri, Chandra" <Chandra.Talluri@FMR.com.INVALID> wrote:

> Sorry, This may not be the right forum to discuss about iptables. Can you please point
out some direction where can I get more information?

rather than try to duplicate it in ZK.

> Patrick
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Alex Yip <alexsyip@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Could you could use iptables directly to blacklist or whitelist some
> > client IPs ?
> >
> > - Alex
> >

> > On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Talluri, Chandra
> > <Chandra.Talluri@fmr.com.invalid> wrote:
> >> Adam
> >> Thanks, that would be very helpful. I was thinking there should be
> >> something in Zookeeper configuration itself
> >>
> >> -Thanks

each ZooKeeper host in transparent tcp mode in front of the ZooKeeper client port.

> >> The choice of transparent mode was so that I can still map session activity
to source IP in ZooKeeper. HAProxy will spoof the client ip so the ZooKeeper is none the wiser
that HAProxy sits in between. It requires some iptables, ip rules and ip route config to direct
outgoing packets from ZooKeeper back through the HAProxy.

> >> This allows for blacklisting ips and protecting against DOS attacks by rate
limiting new connections by IP and by block connections from bad actors that are too write
intensive.

> >> If this sounds like a useful to anyone I can outline the approach in a bit more
detail.

> >> Thanks,
> >> Adam

based on IP address. Not just setting Acl's on znode?