zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Talluri, Chandra" <Chandra.Tall...@FMR.com.INVALID>
Subject RE: Can we restrict any client connections to Zookeeper ensemble
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2016 20:53:37 GMT
Adam
Thanks, that would be very helpful. I was thinking there should be something in Zookeeper
configuration itself

-Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Milne-Smith [mailto:adam@milne-smith.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2016 2:22 PM
To: user@zookeeper.apache.org
Subject: Re: Can we restrict any client connections to Zookeeper ensemble

I've been looking to do the same thing so have started running a HAProxy on each ZooKeeper
host in transparent tcp mode in front of the ZooKeeper client port.

The choice of transparent mode was so that I can still map session activity to source IP in
ZooKeeper. HAProxy will spoof the client ip so the ZooKeeper is none the wiser that HAProxy
sits in between. It requires some iptables, ip rules and ip route config to direct outgoing
packets from ZooKeeper back through the HAProxy.

This allows for blacklisting ips and protecting against DOS attacks by rate limiting new connections
by IP and by block connections from bad actors that are too write intensive.

If this sounds like a useful to anyone I can outline the approach in a bit more detail.

Thanks,
Adam

On 5 Feb 2016 19:07, "Talluri, Chandra" <Chandra.Talluri@FMR.com.INVALID> wrote:

> Is it possible to restrict any client connections to Zookeeper ensemble based on IP address.
Not just setting Acl's on znode?

> (i.e) I should be able to connect to zookeeper ensemble either using zkCli.sh or any
client only from certain ip addresses