zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Bruno Wassermann <baruc...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: snapCount, initLimit, syncLimit
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2016 20:15:12 GMT
Hi Patrick,

Do I understand correctly that a large snapCount can lead to fairly large transaction logs,
which in turn may impact the recovery time of a server? And on a related note, if a server
exceeds its initLimit, should this result in corresponding log messages at the INFO level
in version 3.4.6?

Thanks,
-- Bruno

> From: phunt@apache.org
> Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:28:06 -0800
> Subject: Re: snapCount, initLimit, syncLimit
> To: user@zookeeper.apache.org
>
> Snapshots are a copy of your data in time, so size is relative to what
> you put into ZK.
>
> After snapCount transactions are written to a log file a new snapshot
> is created and a new transaction log file is created. The default
> snapCount is 100,000, you almost never have to change that in my
> experience.
>
> I'd recommend what we have in the sample for init and sync limit
> (effectively 20 and 10 seconds respectively). Although if you have a
> very large snapshot file you might need to increase these. You don't
> want to make sync limit too large, otw it takes longer to identify a
> partition.
>
> Patrick
>

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Bruno Wassermann <baruch_w@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > What influences the size of snapshots and how does one go about figuring out adequate
settings for snapCount, initLimit and syncLimit? It would be great, if someone could share
some advice.