zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jason Rosenberg <...@squareup.com>
Subject Can an observer node be promoted to be read-write?
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2015 04:48:38 GMT
I'm wondering if an observer node, can be upgraded to be a voting
read-write node in a cluster, after a restart with a config update to
remove the observer config?

The scenario I'm thinking about is for a cross-datacenter cluster, where we
have a master datacenter where the nodes are all read-write, and then have
remote observer nodes in remote datacenters.  In the event that there's a
catastrophic loss of a the 'master' datacenter, is it feasible to make a
new dc the 'master' dc, and restart all the nodes there to no longer be
observers, and then restart nodes in other dcs to point to the new master?

The point being that it seems desirable to have the voting read-write nodes
always co-located in closer proximity (and remote dc nodes can be
observers), but we need a decent disaster recovery plan in the event of a
dc loss.  This plan would be a manual recovery, of course, but it's
workable.

Thanks,

Jason