zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: out of order callbacks of events in ZK
Date Sun, 08 Nov 2015 19:22:22 GMT
Hello again Kamel,

ZooKeeper does order watch notifications in the same order as the updates that triggered those
notifications.  Therefore, if your application guarantees that it updates grand_child first
and child second, I expect the client to receive notifications in the same order: grand_child
first followed by child second.

I read your original email again more closely, and now I'm thinking that the behavior you
described sounds unusual.  I'd expect the ordering guarantee on watches to deliver the "parent2
NodeChildrenChanged" event before the "Child1 NodeDataChanged" event.  My earlier statements
about the sync API shouldn't really be applicable here, unless the 2 processes are doing some
other out-of-band coordination outside ZooKeeper.  Is there something else happening in the
application that might be a contributing factor?  Do you have a simplified code sample that
demonstrates the behavior?

I'm not aware of any bugs in this behavior, but please let us know your version of ZooKeeper
too.  Thanks!

--Chris Nauroth

From: kamel zaarouri <kamel.zaarouri@gmail.com<mailto:kamel.zaarouri@gmail.com>>
Date: Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 1:42 PM
To: "user@zookeeper.apache.org<mailto:user@zookeeper.apache.org>" <user@zookeeper.apache.org<mailto:user@zookeeper.apache.org>>,
Chris Nauroth <cnauroth@hortonworks.com<mailto:cnauroth@hortonworks.com>>
Subject: Re: out of order callbacks of events in ZK

Hi Chris,

I went through the documentation you send me. A guarantee caught my attention:

A client will see a watch event for a znode it is watching before seeing the new data that
corresponds to that znode.

Does it mean that if:

parent <--- There's a watcher here to see changed in child
      |___child    <--- There's a watcher here to see changed in grand_child
                 |___grand_child

Then if another client updates grand_child and then child, I will see the changes in order?
i.e. grand_child callback and then child?

Thanks a lot.

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Chris Nauroth <cnauroth@hortonworks.com<mailto:cnauroth@hortonworks.com>>