zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Why can't an ephemeral non sequential node creation be used as a lock?
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2015 18:44:59 GMT
Hi Kamel,

The implementation you described (ephemeral but not sequential) can be
prone to the thundering herd effect [1].  One client will obtain the lock,
and the other 2 will need to call exists to set a watch on the lock znode
created by that client.  This is important to detect if the client holding
the lock releases that lock (either intentionally or unintentionally due
to process death), so that another one of the client processes can acquire
the lock and make progress.  Since all clients set a watch on that same
znode, all clients will wake up and try to acquire the lock again by
recreating that znode, but only one can succeed.

The standard recipe (ephemeral and sequential) does not suffer from the
thundering herd effect.  This is because each sequential znode is only
watched by a single other client, so the release of the lock (deletion of
the znode) only wakes up a single other client.  More details on this are
discussed in the recipe documentation [2].

This problem is somewhat analogous to Object#notify [3] vs.
Object#notifyAll [4] in concurrent Java programming.

This might not be a big deal with only 3 clients.  With a large number of
clients contending on the lock, the thundering herd effect can generate a
lot of wasteful extra work.

I hope this helps.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundering_herd_problem
[2] http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.6/recipes.html#sc_recipes_Locks