zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why can't an ephemeral non sequential node creation be used as a lock?
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2015 18:38:28 GMT
There is nothing wrong with what you described. The one undesirable effect of doing the way
you describe is that all clients watching will wake when the ephemeral is deleted. Assuming
the recipe you're talking about is the one that chains watches, it avoids waking up all clients
when the ephemeral is deleted.

-Flavio

> On 03 Nov 2015, at 18:30, kamel.zaarouri@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have 3 zookeeper clients that will receive a request within seconds apart.  Only 1
client is allowed to handle this request.

> I was thinking that each client will try to create the same ephemeral node non sequential
node. The client that can is by definition the leader and is the one that will handle the
request.

> But then I saw that there's a recipe for creating a lock.
>
> Would the above strategy work or should I use the recipe? Can someone tell me what could
go wrong with what I described?