zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Hamza <adrian.ha...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Running zookeeper with journaling disabled on an ext4
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2015 18:22:52 GMT
Zookeeper fsyncs the write requests to disk before acknowledging the
writes as successful. Isn't that preventing what you described from
happening?

No, we don't use RAID, I don't know about the non-volatile cache, I would have to check on
that.

> From: bvan@slac.stanford.edu
> To: user@zookeeper.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Running zookeeper with journaling disabled on an ext4
> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 17:59:33 +0000
>
> If 3 of the 5 servers were to shutdown and the files on those servers were to become
corrupted, you would assuredly have data loss.

> Do you have your disks behind a raid controller with non-volatile cache (aka write back
cache)?

> Brian
>

> > On Oct 21, 2015, at 9:49 AM, Adrian Hamza <adrian.hamza@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > What's your opinion on running Zookeeper with file system journaling disabled on
an EXT4 file system?
> > We need every ounce of performance out of it, and I believe given the Zookeeper
implementation (operations are logged, majority quorum is required for succeeding, checkpoints
are swapped only after being complete) I feel that EXT4 journaling is redundant. Disabling
EXT4 journaling could improve performance. We have 5 servers in a Zookeeper ensemble. Am I
missing something or this should be fine?